Please follow these steps when you are ready to set-up your Google Analytics 4 (GA4) container:
- Log into Google Tag Manager (click here to open new tab for you), making sure that you are logged into the corresponding Google account that has access to the correct container, and select the container that houses the tags on your site.
- Select the container to which you would like to upload the tracking tags.
- In the left-hand corner click “Default Workspace.”
- If you have three (3) workspaces already created then you will have to delete one in order to make these changes and not override any other work being completed.
- In the top right-hand corner click the plus sign (+) to add a new workspace, and enter a name in line with your naming conventions. Then click Save.
- In the new workspace, select “Admin”. Then under the container section click the “Import Container” item.
- Select “choose container file” and upload the JSON file linked here.
- Clicking the above link will auto-download the zipped file for you.
- Add this to an Existing workspace and choose the workspace that you just created. Select Merge instead of Overwrite.
- Be sure none of the tags, triggers, or variables are showing as Deleted and then click Confirm.
- Within the workspace you can then select “Tags” (left-side menu) to verify that the GA4 - Main Tag has the correct Measurement ID from your GA4 property.
- As long as the correct measurement ID is present, verify that the tags that were uploaded are referencing the correct GA4 - Main Tag. This will dictate that all of the other event tags (e.g., GA4 - Add to Cart) flows into the same GA4 property.
- Now you are ready to test!
- In the top right-hand corner select “Preview.” This will open a secondary tab or window labeled with Google Tag Assistant.
- Within the preview window, you’ll want to enter in your site URL and click “Connect.”
- When you click “Connect” another tab/window will open with the URL you had entered. You can then start testing by adding tickets to your cart.
- Verify the tag in the Tag Assistant window, and be sure that the data you want is loading.
- Click here https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/#/p256985401/realtime/overview to verify that the data is under Events in your GA4 property.
- To make sure that all of your event parameters are loading into GA4, go to the Admin section of your GA4 property, then the Custom Definitions and the Custom Dimensions areas. Add Custom Dimensions and make sure to add every single dimension individually that loads underneath “Event parameter.”
You should now be good to go on GA4!
If you need further assistance, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.